5A Spencer Brown, Cottonwood

Spencer Brown doesn't look at wrestling as a metaphor for life. It's more like a rigorous preparation for the future.

Nothing can be taken for granted, as Brown was harshly reminded at the recent Pan-American Cadet Championships in Managua, Nicaragua.

Physically ready, Brown dominated his first match at 63 kilograms (138.75 pounds).

"The second match, I wasn't prepared and was pinned right quick," said the Cottonwood High senior. "I learned from that and pinned the third kid in the first period."

Lesson learned and catalogued for future competitions.

This includes Tuesday's 10th annual All-Star Classic in the McKay Events Center at Utah Valley University.

The Classic is a prestigious event for high school wrestlers featuring the best wrestlers from each weight class.

Brown hopes to parlay that experience, as well as his third-place finish at the Pan-Am competition, into his goal of winning a state championship.

Already, Brown has been tantalizingly close, finishing third as a junior at 140 pounds. He also placed fourth as a sophomore at 130 pounds and fifth as a freshman at 112 pounds.

"For the last three years, he's been our top wrestler," Cottonwood coach Jeff Jackson said. "He's wrestled non-stop ... putting a lot of time in his craft."

Jackson believes Cottonwood's change from the 4A classification to 5A won't present any more than the usual challenges to his top athlete.


"Every year he's improved," Jackson said of Brown. "The [All-Star match] will give him more recognition, and sets him for a run at the state title."

Full teams, 56 wrestlers from 5A to 2A/1A, are scheduled to compete in the prestigious All-Star competition.

For Brown, the competition is simple.

"I'm going to wrestle like it's any other match," he said. "Go out and win. I've really worked on my fundamentals so I can beat other kids."

Jackson first noticed Brown's drive and talent at Bonneville Junior High where, even as a freshman, Brown was among the best on the mat for Cottonwood.

"I knew he was going to be something special," said Jackson, noting that he felt motivated to find new way to push his star wrestler. "He's pushed himself. Wrestling has been the biggest thing in his life."

From the start, in a Little League when two kids of the same size were matched, Brown loved the sport and all of the hard work and discipline that wrestling demands.

"I did well and progressed to higher competitions," Brown said of the early days. "Unlike any other sport, it's just you and the other guy; one on one. I love the toughness of the sport. I've seen kids last just one practice."

That inner drive has also resulted in a 3.9 GPA and a goal to study medicine.

"That ties right into wrestling," Brown said. "It teaches you so much about life. You have to know how to work hard."

martyr@sltrib.com